Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Essay: The Adventurous Repair of the Television

It was afternoon, strangely still and silent as if the world had come to its end for me as a six-year-old girl. Our television broke down and I had missed all the cartoons shown in the morning. I could not even think about missing them again in the evening. I squatted near the TV and stared at the screen regretfully. I could only see the reflection of my sparkling eyes flickering like little dim stars in the dark depth of the sky. I started making faces at the screen in the hope of receiving a response, but they were useless. I got completely disappointed in convincing the telly to work. I had to do something, so I tried to use the gray cells of my little brain and consequently I decided to repair the TV by myself (certainly I had overused my gray cells)!

At the beginning, I looked around carefully. I found my dad snoring and my mom working in the kitchen. I took a deep breath and engaged in repairing the television just like an expert. First, I pressed all the buttons of the TV one after the other; nothing happened. Then I started punching and kicking with all my strength at the poor telly; there was no difference. Finally I decided to check out the wires behind the TV set. I bent and strongly pulled one of the wires and then I was just streaming from the end of my lungs!!! The television set had fallen down; because, one of the cracked wheels of its table broke due to pulling the wire. I had been mashed like a potato and the drips of blood were streaming down my face! My mom and dad worriedly rushed to see what happened. As soon as they arrived, I stopped screaming and crying!!! Being under television, I was carefully listening to the sound of my favorite cartoon "Tom and Jerry." I just wanted to get rid of the TV on my head and watch my masterpiece even with the broken head that was similar to Tom's after being beaten by Jerry's pan!


By Parisa Mehran

No comments: